Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

Sorry, I made this and forgot to take the picture. Cydney asked me for this recipe a little while ago and since it has been cold, I thought it would be a nice one to add. I made homemade chicken noodle soup (except I used dried egg noodles--yuck) for the first time when I was teenager and it was one of the first times I realized that homemade is SO much better then from a can or box. I have kind of been tinkering with this recipe ever since. It is pretty basic and easy to make--what most people might say "just like my mom's", but well, since my mom doesnt really cook...it is what I imagine this comfort food should be like.

Chicken Noodle Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
1-2 carrots, peeled and diced
1-2 celery, peeled and diced
corn (optional--I will to add it sometimes)
thyme
pepper
bay leaf
2 chicken breasts
6-8 cups chicken broth

For noodles:
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together until crumbly. Add about 1/4 water, until you can make a dough. Roll out and cut into noodles Heat olive oil and sautee onions. Add everything else except noodles and boil about 15-20, until chicken breasts are cooked. Take out chicken and dice it, put it back in. Remove bay leaf. Bring back to boil. SLowly add in noodles until cooked. Adjust seasons-eat.

No comments: